Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Becoming a Midwife, the beginning

After a whirlwind summer that went by far too fast, I find myself here, at Yale University studying to be a Nurse-Midwife. The first two weeks of my program have come and gone in a blur. A blur of activity, of meeting new people and of learning new things at an unnatural rate.

The people are wonderful, the fellow aspiring midwives are fun and kind and engaging and everyone has an interesting story to tell. We are all dying to do birth-related activities but the first year we will barely talk about catching babies. The first year we will learn to be nurses. Next week I will begin working on the adult cardiac unit at a local hospital. It will be quite the transition from working with laboring mothers. However, it is all part of the process of getting to where I want to go.

At some point, perhaps today, perhaps another day when I have less work to do, I must post my last few doula birth stories. They were wonderful and deserve to be told before I forget the details.

As my new adventure in nursing school begins, I must remember to take it all in and not get bogged down by the workload. I can easily become tense when I think too far into the future...I need to let things come as they will.

No comments:

Post a Comment